Sunday, April 11, 2010

TV Review: Justified - Ep 1 through 4

Several of my friends started tweeting about something called Justified a few weeks ago. By some sort of osmosis, I learned that it was a show set in Kentucky. And then I had a few spare hours and a DVR with two episodes of Justified on it today. So I grabbed some pizza and sat down on the couch. At the end of two episodes I wasn't sold but was interested enough to hunt down the other two episodes on Hulu.

My verdict? While it failed to capture the Kentucky I know and grew up in, Justified isn't half bad. It can't seem to decide whether or not it's going for full on southern camp or a cop drama that just happens to be set in rural Kentucky. My main nitpick is that despite being set in the lovely suburban paradise of Lexington, 90% of the show has been in Harlan, a town three hours away. Harlan has more in common with the coal fields of Virginia than most of Kentucky. Even then, the only thing setting this in Kentucky is the assumption that we're all redneck white-trash or obsessed with getting out of Kentucky.

Bottom Line: Even though it paints Kentucky in a negative light, Justified is an intriguing cop drama (the laughs are few and far between) with great characters and a lot of potential. Also, I like that hat.





4 comments:

  1. I would still argue that the show is set in Harlan, not Lexington. Yeah, the marshal office is in Lexington, but the story is primarily about the main character's return to his hometown of Harlan, KY. The show's website and trailers even say it's set in Harlan, and the original novel revolved completely around the mountain community.

    I think it could be fair to say that Harlan has more in common with northeastern VA than the rest of KY. That's quite true, and an astute observation. And you're quite right that the show isn't portraying KY accurately. I don't think they're trying to portray KY, nor are they trying to portray VA. What the show's creators, and the novelist, were portraying is something that's independent of state lines. They're portraying Appalachia. Appalachia is a strange, isolated place with its own independent culture and identity. Appalachians often do identify more with the mountains and their people than the states in which they happen to live.

    As an insider who still calls Harlan County, KY home, I can say with some confidence that Justified has a few inaccuracies in its depiction of Appalachian coal-mining communities. But, I think the show is often faithful in its portrayal as well.

    The show may not be an accurate depiction of central KY, but for me it's a fascinating look at the interpretation of the culture I grew up in through the eyes of outsiders.

    Now, then. My overall verdict of the show? It's not bad. I'm enjoying it. But I dunno if I'll commit to more than a season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I didn't come off as critical due to my differing viewpoint. That's not what I was going for. I just have a different perspective. I enjoyed the post quite a bit. <3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came into the show knowing only that it was about a US Marshall who's office was in Lexington. Your opinion is totally valid and the result of expectations that were probably more accurate than mine. I really know very little about Appalachia, when I think of Kentucky all I see is horse barns. I think that once I let go of my desire to see romps through tobacco fields (I'm not entirely sure if you guys have tobacco fields out there. I'd assume not with all the mountains. See the ignorance?), I'll really enjoy this show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No tobacco fields. It's pretty much just coal.

    ReplyDelete