Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Music Review: Goldfrapp - Head First

I've listened to Goldfrapp's new album three times. I don't like it.

My favorite thing about Goldfrapp is that she doesn't sound like that shit on the radio. Nothing about her says "Pop". Her new album feels like it's straight from a "Best of the 80's" compilation. None of the strong beats or ethereal vocals I associate with Goldfrapp. When Madonna went back to this sort of 80's pop with light, electronic beats in "Confessions on a Dance Floor" it was a step forward. Cause that was when Madonna was at the height of her popularity and making her best music. Madonna also gave the music a modern twist. If "Head First" came on an 80's radio station I don't think you'd be able to tell it apart from all the other power pop love anthems. And unlike Madonna, Goldfrapp's best work came about in the past decade.

I often find if I listen to something enough it'll become stuck in my head (see "Tik Tok" by Ke$ha) and often in a good way. However, I doubt that I will be able to listen to "Head First" again of my own free will.

No comments:

Post a Comment